Lake Anna has always been a place of rest and solace for me, especially during the winter. The only sounds to be heard are fish jumping in the distance and birds flying by. The water is still and it seems if the whole world is paused. In this silence I was able to reflect on the year of 2016 and look forward to 2017. Here are my intentions for this year:
1. Fewer Screens, More Paper: Whether it be reading, journaling, or even creating things, I want to spend less time looking at screens (it will be difficult considering I'm a student and the majority of my work is online) and more time spent learning and growing through more tangible outlets.
2. Philippians 4:6-7 Lifestyle: A lot of change is coming up soon in my life. Graduating JMU, leaving Harrisonburg, and going to whatever the next step is, there is a lot of uncertainty about the future. I often find myself getting caught up in worrying about what the future will hold and trying to make plans for the worst possible scenarios. This year, especially in these coming months, I want to remember these words from Philippians, "do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." God has a plan and a purpose for my life and though I can't see too far down the road yet, I know he will protect me through all of it.
3. Become a more Conscious Consumer: In the past 4 years I have learned a lot about where the clothing, products, and food we buy comes from, who creates it and what it is made of. After becoming aware of these factors I have started to try to make certain changes in the products I buy but there are still so many changes to be made. This year I am seeking first of all to spend less money on things I don't need, and really focus on only purchasing things that will benefit my life and everyone who was a part of the process of creating the product was treated and paid fairly.
4. Adventure More: For so much of my life I have allowed my fear of failure get in the way of me trying new things. I set up limitations for myself on what I can and cannot do because something so radically new would often result in failure. This year will be different. I want to try new things. EXPERIENCE new things. 2017 I will be more present in what is going on around me especially making memories with the people around me. There is not much time left living in Harrisonburg, constantly surrounded by so many incredible friends and such a beautiful environment, so in 2017 I will take it all in.
5. Create Differently: I have had a love for art for as long as I can remember and most of my artist career has consisted of photography and graphic design. This year I want to challenge myself with new mediums, paint, sculpture, videography, and possibly even illustration (yikes). I don't really know where to start with all of this but through my classes and learning from other talented artists around me, I hope to pursue these means or artmaking.
I would love to hear your intentions for the new year!
Also please enjoy these fun images I took with my sister, Kayla, and our dog, River! (I know, who would name a dog River and then take him to a lake. He came with the name lol)
gotta love a good croc and pup shot am I right?